Special Message

As Salamu Alaikum Rahamthullahi wa Barakatahu Keep visiting Mehdavia Times for community updates.

Thursday, February 13, 2020

My visit to 'Mehdavia Jama Masjid' Pallakkad, Kerala

As Salam alaikum Rahmathulahi Wa Barakatahu.
Today once again I had an opportunity to visit the only Mehdavia Masjid in Kerala. Earlier this Masjid was Known as 'Mehdavia Jama Masjid' which is situated at the Daira Street of Pallakad in Kerala. This was the only Mehdavia Masjid in Kerala and was also popularly known as 'Urdu Jamia Masjid' where the Jumma Bayan was done in Urdu in the entire Kerala State. During my last visit to this masjid some six years ago, I had a very nostalgic & spiritual experience while I went there and offered my Isha. I could also see the name written on the walls as 'Mehdavia Urdu Jama Masjid'.

But now this masjid is being rebuilt to suit to the present requirements, though nicely planned and constructed however, I couldn't locate the name that I saw six years back. Now unfortunately, it is known as "Hanafi Urdu Jama Masjid', you may search it in Google.

Almost all the families have gone out of our core aqaid, and have employed a Non Mehdavi imam.

As I couldn't go to ziyarat last time I made it a point to visit this time, met one of the mussalli who still looks like a Mehdavi to show me the Payan. He sent the mouzin (a Hafiz-e-Quran from Bihar) with me to show the Payan. Unfortunately the Payan is in a very bad condition and looks dilapidated with lots of bushes all around the compound. Thankfully it is protected with a very strong stone wall (it seems the compound was built at least a century back).

The historical significance of this Daira is that, During the period of Nawab Hyder Ali ( 1720 – 7 Dec 1782)  Tippu Sultan (20 Nov1750 - 4 May 1799) the Sultans of Mysore, during their reign, had sent a troop to this region for a war. The troop was predominantly Mehdavi Soldiers, along with them Murshideen too accompanied. There is a fort by name Palakkad Fort which was recaptured and rebuilt grandly by Sultan Hyder Ali in 1766 by the same troops. The troop got settled in Pallakad and established a Mehdavia Daira here. This area is still known as Daira Mohalla or Daira Street.

I pray and hope that Almighty Allah swt restore the faith soon with Mehdavia aqaid to all those who have gone out.
 Aameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment